Schedule of Events
Ninth Annual Poetry/Arts Festival
April 21–23, 2016
Want a printable version of this schedule? Click here to download a PDF.
Pre-Festival Public Events
- Tuesday April 12: Northdale Manor poetry reading 2:00pm
- Wednesday April 13: Temiskaming Lodge poetry reading (10:45am)
- Friday April 15: Extendicare poetry reading (2pm).
- Monday April 18: Cobalt St. Pat’s poetry sharing school visit 1–2pm
- Tuesday April 19: Linda-Bea Chambers will host a poetry/music concert at the Temiskaming Hospital at 7:00pm.
Thursday April 21:
- Douglas O. Baldwin book launch COBALT: Canada’s Forgotten Silver Boom Town 6:30 pm Lumber Baron’s House 604 Brewster St. Haileybury. Meet the author on the definitive history of Cobalt.
- Bilingual Twist/Vague Bilingue opening night event 8pm Presidents’ Suites Lumber Baron’s House Haileybury. Come enjoy an evening of poetry and music. Featured Francophone artist/poet Francine Plante followed by musical group Daniel and Friends Featured Anglophone poet Honey Novick book launch of Sanguine Encounters with Greatness followed by musician Dave Patterson admission free
- League of Poets Poet in Schools with Honey Novick doing workshops at Temiskaming District Secondary School and New Liskeard Public School.
Friday April 22:
- Honey Novick continues workshops with Haileybury Public School and St. Patrick School Cobalt. Toronto poet/short story writer Carol Malyon will do a children’s story telling reading at Haileybury Public School at 1:30pm.Temiskaming Shores Public Library Haileybury Branch 545 Lakeshore Rd. S. from noon to 12:45pm Books and Bites book launch of Mo Po Po Mo Variations with Timmins poet/writer Frank Giorno followed at 1:00pm with a writer’s workshop.
- Paul Penna Cobalt Public Library 7:00 pm Poet Laureate re-induction of Ann Margetson and Volunteer of the Year appreciation award.
Followed by Drummond Hour with selected readings of his poetry.
Historian Douglas O. Baldwin and author of Cobalt: Canada’s Forgotten Silver Boom Town will be reading excerpts from his book on Dr. Drummond.
Dr. William Henry Drummond Poetry Contest Awards ceremony with Honey Novick.
The ghost of Dr. Drummond is rumoured to be roaming the festival.
Saturday April 23:
Mezzanine Gallery Classic Theatre Cobalt 30 Silver Street
10:00 am Ontario Poetry Society Cobalt Branch Annual Meeting, open mic/music event. All are welcome to bring a favourite poem, read one of your own, or sing/play music. Carol Malyon from Toronto will be our featured poet. Artist Calvin Knight whose exhibition Yodel Soup is presently in the gallery will be in attendance. Refreshments will be available.
There will be a luncheon compliments of the library board Paul Penna Cobalt Public Library from noon to 1:00 pm.
1:00 pm CALLING ALL YOUTHFUL POETS!! Jim Sargent Poetry Awards 2016 Administrator Kendra Lacarte will announce the winners.
- Poetry Hall of Fame induction of Brian Beaudry will follow.
At 2:30pm Haileybury Legion Pipe Band will lead us on a poetry parade to the Dr. Pollard Poetry Park. Marilyn Chevrier-Wills Timiskaming First Nation elder/teacher and husband John Zarieh will perform a welcoming song /opening prayer ceremony.
White Dog of Cobalt yellow ribbon remembrance event.
Open mic/music/storytelling at 3:15pm at Poet Laureate Ann Margetson’s home 38 Commission Street 705–679–5554
St. James Anglican Church of Cobalt Spaghetti Dinner 5:30pm corner of Nickel/Prospect Ave. $15 see Emma Laughlin for tickets at 705–679–8636
Ultimate Cobalt Quiz: Cobalt Mining Museum 26 Silver Street between 7 and 9 pm on Saturday April 23. Hosted by Doug Baldwin, author of COBALT: Canada’s Forgotten Silver Boom Town and Nicole Guertin of the Presidents’ Suites. Cost: Donation to the Mining Museum
- Saturday evening Miners Tavern 75 Lang Street Cobalt David Laronde will be our featured musician. Show starts at 9pm and admission is free.